Remarks: With effect from 2020/21 academic year, this new programme title will be used. The programme title before 2020/21 academic year was 'Professional Diploma in Horticulture and Landscape Management'.
This programme is included under the Government’s pilot study scheme for students of professional part-time programmes in the 2016/17 academic year for students admitted to designated professional part-time programmes offered by VTC. Successful applicants will be refunded 60% of the tuition fees of eligible programmes, subject to a maximum of $45,000 per person. VPlus Subsidy Scheme - VPlus Engineering details.
This professional programme (PDHALM) is designed essentially to meet the demands from the industry for horticultural and arboricultural practitioners as well as landscape works supervisors. It provides a broad-based framework for the study level (Level 4) modules, and emphasizes horticultural principles and practices, plant science, tree risk assessment and landscape management, blending together the essential intellectual and practical skills that match the industry’s requirements best. Students will be awarded an intermediate award, namely, Professional Certificate in Horticulture and Arboriculture (PCHA), upon satisfactory completion of the first four core modules.
The programme will be delivered by face-to-face instruction. Within the 280 contact hours, various methods will be employed to facilitate learning and teaching, such as lecture, tutorial, workshop, practical session and site visit. By enrolling this programme, students will acquire the value, knowledge and skill for lifelong learning, and enhanced employability to enter the rapidly growing landscape and greening industry.
Graduates are eligible to apply for memberships of (subject to fulfilment of additional requirement on relevant working experience as appropriate):
- Accredited Arborist of the Hong Kong Institute of Landscape Architects
- Technician Membership of the Arboricultural Association (UK)
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Horticulture (UK)
Qualified teaching staff will include teachers from experienced specialists and professionals in the related field from both the public and private sectors.
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language, or equivalent, with at least 1 year’s relevant working experience; or
- 5 passes in the HKCEE (including English Language – Grade E/ Level 2) or equivalent, with at least 1 year’s relevant working experience; or
- Mature applicants at the age of 23 or above by the commence day of the targeted round of programme offering, with at least 1 year’s relevant working experience.
Applicants with award(s) in relevant stream(s) will be considered case-by-case. Individual module exemption may be granted subject to THEi’s Academic Policies and Regulations.
Approximately 1 year for the Professional Diploma (PDHALM); and
Approximately 6 months for the Professional Certificate (PCHA).
Part-time, weekday evening and/or weekend classes
Tuition Fee and Caution Money
PDHALM - HK$48,400 (HK$48,000 being the tuition fee and HK$400 being the caution money)
PCHA - $33,520 ($33,120 being the tuition fee and HK$400 being the caution money)
Class will run subject to sufficient enrolments. In the unlikely instance where a class has to be cancelled, cheques received for payment of tuition fee and caution money will be returned to applicants.
Assessment and Award
A student is eligible for the Professional Diploma in Horticulture, Arboriculture and Landscape Management (PDHALM) award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- Accumulation of 80 Credit Points;
- Attend at least 70% of contact hours for each module;
- Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for each module. Supplementary exam or re-submission of assessment items would be arranged within 3 months of the end date of each module at the discretion of the module convenor.
Intermediate Exit Award
A student is eligible for the Professional Certificate in Horticulture and Arboriculture (PCHA) award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
1. Accumulation of 48 Credit Points;
2. Attend at least 70% of contact hours for each of the four designated modules;
3. Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for each designated module. Supplementary exam or re-submission of assessment items would be arranged within 3 months of the end date of each module at the discretion of the module convenor.
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese and English
Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (Chai Wan Campus)
133 Shing Tai Road, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
AY 2020/21 Class A - Target to be commenced in October/November 2020
Tuesday and/or Thursday evening
Saturday morning and/or Saturday afternoon
AY 2020/21 Class A
First Batch: 24 August (Monday) - 11 September 2020 (Friday)
Second Batch: 14 (Monday) - 23 (Wednesday) September 2020
Please downlaod application form here.
Fees are subject to annual reviews. THEi reserves the right to cancel any programme/class, revise programme content or change the class commencement date/class venue if circumstances so warrant.