FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
Programme NameProfessional Diploma Meister in Lift and Escalator Engineering
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyPart-time : weekday evening and/or weekend classes
Medium of InstructionEnglish supplemented with Chinese
- THEi Tsing Yi campus
Other Teaching Venues:
- Lifelong Learning Centre, VTC
Rooms D and E, 12/F, Billion Plaza II, 10 Cheung Yue Street, Cheung Sha Wan, Kowloon
- Pro-Act Training and Development Centre (Electrical), VTC Kwai Chung Complex
13-19 San Kwai Street, Kwai Chung, New Territories
- Pro-Act Training and Development Centre (Electrical), VTC Pokfulam Complex
145 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Application Deadline (For May 2022 Cohort)20 April 2022
Professional Diploma Meister in Lift and Escalator Engineering is recognised under the
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 22/000122/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/04/2022 to 31/08/2025
With the staunch support from the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) and the Lift and Escalator Contractors Association (LECA), the Programme has been successfully accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) pegged at QF Level 5. The Programme has made a significant breakthrough in the local Vocational and Professional Education and Training (VPET) development and was developed to be the first bespoke skill-based programme in Hong Kong with the aim of providing experienced lift and escalator engineering practitioners with an extended value-borne progression pathway for professional development. The Programme aims to nurture Lift and Escalator Meister (aka Skills Masters/Industry Masters) who can demonstrate occupational, managerial and pedagogical competencies in the full range of lift and escalator specialisms.
On completion of the Programme, graduates will typically go on to take senior roles in technical project and operation management within lift and escalator engineering contractor firms. The role of Meister sits at the apex of the technical leadership hierarchy below the role of lead project or design engineer.
Admission is on a competitive basis, with applicants judged on their ability to meet the entrance requirements of the Programme. The minimum entrance requirement of the Programme is summarised as follows:
- Professional Requirement:
- Registered Lift and Escalator Worker (Cap 618),
- Academic Qualifications and Experience Requirement:
- A relevant Higher Diploma or Professional Diploma at QF Level 4 AND at least 8 years’ post Registered Lift Worker (RLW) and Registered Escalator Worker (REW) work experience, OR
- A Relevant Professional Certificate (QF Level 4) acceptable to the Faculty Dean AND at least 12 years’ post RLW and REW work experience; OR
- Qualification deemed equivalent by the Faculty Board AND at least 8 years’ relevant work experience following acquisition of both RLW and REW registrations.
Mature applicants at the age of 30 or above and having minimum 12 years of post RLW and REW work experience may also be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis.
Employer’s Nomination, Endorsement and Signature
The applicant should be nominated by his/her employer to study the programme. The employer should endorse the information about the work experience given by the applicants is accurate and complete. The employer should also be committed to providing extensive workplace learning and assessment opportunities to students by playing an active role in:
- providing students with the opportunities required to acquire knowledge, skill, and competence on the job;
- signing off students’ workplace training and experience logs;
- allocating experienced staff to act as trainers, verifiers and assessors; and
- making provision for formal training in the workplace such as process run-throughs, formal on-job training, etc.
The total tuition fee for academic year 2021/22 is $84,000. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.
For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).