The module aims to provide students with a basic understanding of the entrepreneurial mindset. Students will be exposed to basic ideas, concepts, and theories related to the entrepreneurial mindset that allows self-reflection and applications to contemporary issues and professional life, with a comparison between the ideas of entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship.
Module Learning Outcomes (MLOs)
On completion of this module, students are expected to be able to:
1. Describe the elements of an entrepreneurial mindset;
2. Discuss the implications of an entrepreneurial mindset in society and the workplace;
3. Analyse and apply the entrepreneurial mindset to contemporary issues and challenges; and
4. Work cooperatively with other students on a joint project using oral and written forms of communication.
The following core concepts and ideas will be introduced to students:
1. Entrepreneurial Mindset - Essential components of an entrepreneurial mindset (Entrepreneurial practices; management and leadership; work culture) - Value creation and destruction (Value chain; value network; dis-intermediary and re-intermediary effects of the network) - Ideas for team functionality (Different disciplines; synergy)
2. Intrapreneurship - From intrapreneurship to entrepreneurship (Comparison of ideas on intrapreneurship and entrepreneurship; mindsets; autonomy; risk; resources) - Creation of intrapreneurship in different professional contexts (Organisational value and culture; management and leadership) - Cultivation of social intrapreneurs (Civic-mindedness; social values; corporate habitats, future-explorers)
3. Entrepreneurial Process - Team formation (Diversity; collaboration; creative class; quality of place) - Approach for a lean startup (Idea of a lean startup; quantitative methodology; business model) - Practical considerations (Funding cycle; negotiation and conflict management; understanding of the current market landscape and mega-trends; sourcing and development of data for product development and presentation)
4. Proposal and Project Development - Students are required to carry out a group project using the knowledge that they have learned (Data visualisation, digital story-telling, virtual enterprise, pitching, poster presentation)