Bachelor of Science (Honours) Food Science and Safety
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
Programme NameBachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Safety
- Application for self-financed places in Year-3 Entry via Through-train Scheme
(Applicable to VTC Higher Diploma Final Year Students and Graduates Only)
- Application for self-financed places in Year-1 Entry via VTC Admission S6 Portal ;
- Application for self-financed places in Year-3 Entry via VTC Web-based Admission System
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules would be conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses.
Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Safety is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 15/000745/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2015 to 31/08/2025
The Programme aims to equip graduates with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills in food science and safety, including food chemistry, nutritional science, food microbiology, food sensory and evaluation, food engineering and quality control and food safety management. A broad spectrum of these modules are designed to well facilitate students competency to perform effectively in the food, nutrition and catering industries as well as to solve the technical problematic issues related to the field of food science and safety. It will also provide students with generic management skills, work integrated learning either in local or overseas food and related industries for strengthening their employability in the competitive community.
Career Prospects Graduates may pursue in the following careers:
- Food Scientists / Technologists
- Hygiene Supervisors
- Quality Control Officers
- Food Supply Chain Auditors
- Government Health Inspectors
- Food Production Supervisors
- Global Food Buyers
This programme has been approved by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department of the Hong Kong Government (FEHD). Successful completion of this course graduates, their qualifications have been covered and exempted from the examination to obtain the registration of the Food Hygiene Manager under the scheme. Graduates can apply for qualified testing professionals to the Testing Professional Certification Scheme of the Hong Kong Association of Testing, Inspection and Certification (HKTIC).
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
- For HKDSE, a maximum of two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Food and Beverage Operations, Western Cuisine.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 / 2176 1030 or Email: email@example.com).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2022/23 is $3,125 per credit point for Year-1 entry and $3,125 per credit point for Year-3 entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.