Bachelor of Science (Honours) Food Science and Safety
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
DepartmentDepartment of Food and Health Sciences
Programme NameBachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Safety
Programme CodeST125202 (Application via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish supplemented with Cantonese
Venue(s)Programme core modules conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Safety is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 15/000745/L5
Validity Period: 01/09/2015 to 31/08/2020
This programme aims to equip graduates with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills in food science and safety (such as food chemistry, nutritional science, microbiology, food engineering, food safety management) that can work in the food-related industry and promote food safety in society. These could help them to perform effectively in the food, nutrition and catering industries and solve problems related to food science and safety. It will also provide students with generic management skills to function effectively as supervisors and managers as they progress in their careers.
Graduates will be capable of assuming duties in the food industry, nutrition-related company and catering industry such as product development, quality assurance, research and technical support, health food products development. They can advance to managerial positions such as the manager of a food manufacturing plant and food hygiene manager in a hotel so as to oversee employees and operations in the processing of food..
Graduates are eligible to apply for membership of the International Food Safety Association (IFSA) and Hong Kong Food Science and Technology Association.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject; OR Equivalent.
You may also refer to the General Entrance Requirements for more information.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- An "Attained" and an "Attained with Distinction" in an HKDSE relevant Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Food and Beverage Operations, Western Cuisine.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview with an original work portfolio.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent qualifications in a relevant area of study.
- Bridging modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1415).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2017/18 is $2,700 per credit point. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.