Bachelor of Science (Honours) Food Science and Safety
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
DepartmentDepartment of Food and Health Sciences
Programme NameBachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Safety
Programme CodeST125202 (Application via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Safety is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 15/000745/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2015 to 31/08/2020
This programme aims to equip graduates with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills in food science and safety (such as food chemistry, nutritional science, microbiology, food engineering, food safety management) that can work in the food-related industry and promote food safety in society. These could help them to perform effectively in the food, nutrition and catering industries and solve problems related to food science and safety. It will also provide students with generic management skills to function effectively as supervisors and managers as they progress in their careers.
Graduates will be capable of assuming duties in the food industry, nutrition-related company and catering industry such as product development, quality assurance, research and technical support, health food products development. They can advance to managerial positions such as the manager of a food manufacturing plant and food hygiene manager in a hotel so as to oversee employees and operations in the processing of food.
Graduates are eligible to apply for membership of the International Food Safety Association (IFSA) and Hong Kong Food Science and Technology Association.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 / 2176 1470).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2019/20 is $2,965 per credit point for Year-1 entry and $2,965 per credit point for Year-3 entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.