Bachelor of Science (Honours) Surveying
Faculty & Department
Department of Environment, Faculty of Design and Environment
Programme NameBachelor of Science (Honours) in Surveying
JSSV08 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Programme Code – For Year 3 EntryDS125107 (Application for self-financed places via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Teaching would be conducted at THEi (Chai Wan) campuses.
|Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Surveying
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 16/000216/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2016 to 31/08/2026
There is a significant demand for surveying services and quality graduates. The programme provides a highly vocational-oriented surveying degree supported by practical studies and work-integrated learning placement.
It also provides a choice of two multiple specialisations to enhance professional expertise and employability: (1) Quantity Surveying and Property & Facility Management (QS and PFM) Stream; (2) Building Surveying, General Practice and Planning & Development (BS, GP and PD) Stream.
The programme covers the core surveying areas of construction technology, real estate and development management, land and construction law and real estate economics and investment, which back up the professional roles and tasks at planning, development, construction, and occupancy phases of the building life cycle. It also emphasises general education and work-integrated learning. Graduates from this programme will therefore be professionally competent and contribute to social and global issues.
Graduates will be employed in both public and private sectors as follows:
- Quantity surveyors: Architectural Services Department, Highways Department, Housing Department, Urban Renewal Authority, professional QS consultancy firms, developers, building and civil engineering contractors, insurance companies, etc.
- Property and facility management surveyors: Government Property Agency, developers, in-house service departments, property consultants, FM and property management companies, asset and property management companies, etc.
- Building surveyors: Buildings Department, Housing Department, Architectural Services Department, Hong Kong Housing Society, Urban Renewal Authority, developers, local and international property consultants, estates and technical departments in institutions and corporations, etc.
- General practice surveyors: Lands Department, Rating & Valuation Department, Housing Department, Government Property Agency, property and valuation consultants, developers, etc.
- Planning and development surveyors: Planning Department, town planning and development consultants, developers, etc.
- Master degrees in specialty areas such as construction project management, real estate investment, urban planning, housing management, transport planning and construction law.
- MPhil or PhD research studies in surveying related areas.
The programme is fully accredited by the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS).
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places for Year 1 Entry will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places for Year 3 Entry can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details.
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For HKDSE, a maximum of any two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects can be counted for admission purpose except those in the area of Applied Learning Chinese (for non-Chinese speaking students).
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Design and Environment (Telephone No: 3890 8323).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2021/22 is $3,120 per credit point. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.