Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Product Design
“ Participated in a workshop conducted by a renowned landscape designer and learnt about design concepts and technology behind some of the world’s most iconic architecture. ”
FacultyFaculty of Design and Environment
DepartmentDepartment of Design
Programme NameBachelor of Arts (Honours) in Product Design
JUPAS Catalogue No. – For Year 1 Entry JSSV02 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Programme Code – For Year 3 Entry(Application for self-financed places via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Core modules would be conducted at THEi (Chai Wan) and some General Education (GE) modules at other campuses.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Product Design is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 12/000570/5
Validity Period: 01/09/2012 to 31/08/2022
This programme aims to provide students with an educational experience which will groom and develop their professional aptitudes and attitudes. It also facilitates students to become inter-disciplinary product design professionals, equipped to meet both local and global needs. In addition, the programme also aims to nurture and develop students’ intellectual capacity, practical abilities and professional attributes.
Sustaining the notion of project-based learning, an element that is firmly embedded in design studies, the programme encourages active engagement with all aspects of practice. This includes an understanding of the theoretical framework of the subject and the creative application to produce imaginative yet practical outcomes.
Graduates will be equipped with professional knowledge of product design, awareness of new technology applications, and, marketing acumen to join the product design and development industry. You can begin your career as a designer, 3D artist, design engineer, project coordinator, project manager or product manager in various fields such as consumer electronics, digital entertainment, clocks, watches and jewelry, fashion and lifestyle products, home and kitchen products, automotive products,toys and children’s products as well as gift and premium.
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places for Year 1 Entry will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places for Year 3 Entry can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
JUPAS Catalogue No.: JSSV02
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject; OR Equivalent.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Starting from the 2018 HKDSE, the reporting of students' performance in ApL subjects would be further refined from the existing two levels of "Attained" and "Attained with Distinction" to "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)". Performance of "Attained with Distinction (I)" is comparable to level 3 while "Attained with Distinction (II)" is comparable to level 4 or above of the Category A subjects of the HKDSE. Details can be found at http://www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/hkdse/assessment/subject_information/category_b_subjects/. And a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include : Jewellery Arts and Design, Innovative Product Design, Interior Design, Computer Game and Animation Design, Building Technology, Jewellery and Accessories Design.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview with an original work portfolio.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent qualifications in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Design and Environment (Telephone No: 3959 7323).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2017/18 is $2,700 per credit point. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.