Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Civil Engineering
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
Programme NameBachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering
Programme CodeST125101 (Application via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
JUPAS Catalogue No.JSSV05 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Part-time (Evening): 3 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Facility(ies)Computational and Simulation laboratory
Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental laboratory
Fluid Mechanic laboratory
Building Information Modelling Innovation Hub (BIMiHub)
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
Registration No.: 12/000571/5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2012 to 31/08/2027
This programme has been developed to produce civil engineering professionals who are well-equipped with knowledge, practical and leadership skills in response to the manpower requirements arising from the major infrastructure projects and the aspirations for degree study of secondary school graduates. It will develop students’ problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and leadership / management skills as well as their ethical attitudes. The programme covers a broad range of professional knowledge related to civil and structural, geotechnics, environment, hydraulics, transport and infrastructure, and management. The learning experience is further enriched by the 3-month long work-integrated learning and 80 hours of Building Information Modeling trainings, along with a general education study developed to prepare for a career. Graduates from this programme will be professionally competent as well as socially and globally responsible.
Graduates may be employed as assistant engineers, graduate engineers, civil, structural and geotechnical engineers, project coordinators, site agents and project managers in government departments (such as departments under Development Bureau and Environmental Protection Department), public utilities (such as railways and electric companies), consultancies, construction companies, and relevant suppliers and manufacturers.
The Programme has been accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ). The Programme recently received full reaccreditation by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) until academic year 2023.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For applying on the basis of the HKDSE results :
- Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject (if the elective subject is not Physics / Chemistry / Biology / Combined or Integrated Science, then Mathematics Extended Part (Module 1 or 2) must be at Level 2 or above); OR Equivalent.
- a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Automotive Technology, Aviation Studies, Building Facilities Engineering, Building Technology (Subject to review).
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 / 2176 1479 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
JUPAS Catalogue No.: JSSV05
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for Academic Year 2022/23 is $3,390 per credit point for Year-1 Entry and $3,390 per credit point for Year-3 Entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.