Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Building Services Engineering
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
Programme NameBachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Services Engineering
Programme Code - For Year 1 & Year 3 Entry (Self-financed)ST125103 (Application for self-financed places via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Part-time (Evening): 4 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules would be conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules at other campuses
- Building Information Modelling Innovation Hub (BIMiHub)
- Indoor Environment & Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Electrical Services and Lighting Laboratory
- Piped and Fire Services Laboratory
- HVAC Laboratory
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Services Engineering is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 15/000513/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2015 to 31/08/2025
The programme aims to develop students to be highly skilled in developing and designing building services systems and be problem-solvers to meet ever-changing industry challenges, which involves complex building technology, air conditioning design, and green building assessment. It also aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills of building services technologies, with emphasis on using projects as the main learning and teaching assessment method to reflect general industry practice.
Graduates will be capable of assuming duties in any part of the building services industry such as consultancy, contracting, operation and maintenance, research and technical support. They can advance to managerial positions such as the building managers of a big or global construction firm and design manager in consultancy industries who oversee employees and operations in the construction fields. They can also be involved in the government departments/agencies, (e.g. EMSD, HKFEMC, and BSOMES) in enforcing building services regulations, or ensuring the good operation and maintenance of building’s air-conditioning and ventilation, electrical installations (including lighting), lifts and escalators, fire services and plumbing and drainage.
Advantage of graduates for this engineering discipline is that the employment market is less dependent on economic frustration because both new and existing building projects are in great demand for building services engineering graduates. The ever increasing number of buildings provides graduates ample opportunities for professional development.
The programme aims to train students to become professional engineers. It has been accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) and the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE), and recognized by the Electrical and Mechanical Department (EMSD) of the HKSAR Government as satisfying the academic qualification requirement for the purpose of registration as Grade C electrical worker.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For applying on the basis of the HKDSE results :
- Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject (if the elective subject is not Physics / Chemistry / Biology / Combined or Integrated Science, then Mathematics Extended Part (Module 1 or 2) must be at Level 2 or above); OR Equivalent.
- a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Automotive Technology, Aviation Studies, Electrical and Energy Engineering.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 / 2176 1886 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2021/22 is $3,235 per credit point for Year-1 entry and $3,195 per credit point for Year-3 entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.