Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Aircraft Engineering
Department of Construction, Environment and Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Aircraft Engineering
- Application for self-financed places in Year-1 Entry via VTC Admission S6 Portal
- Application for self-financed places in Year-3 Entry via Through-train Scheme
(Applicable to VTC Higher Diploma Final Year Students and Graduates Only)
- Application for self-financed places in Year-3 Entry via VTC Web-based Admission System
Application for Mainland Student via Mainland Admission System
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of Study
Full-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Work-Study Scheme : 2 Years (Year 3 Entry) [Click HERE to know more about Work-Study Scheme]
Medium of Instruction
Programme core modules conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Aircraft Engineering is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
Registration No.: 19/000917/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2019 to 31/08/2024
This programme aims to equip students with the professional knowledge and skills to design, propose solutions or make recommendation in the fields of aircraft maintenance and aircraft engineering. Modules specialised in aircraft engineering such as mechanics of flight, propeller, aircraft system design, gas turbine engine, flight stability and automatic control will be the emphases of the programme. Moreover, the programme will prepare students for taking the HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Basic Licence Examination. The programme covers a broad range of professional knowledge including public health and safety, regulations, societal and environmental considerations. It also covers the provision of general education and work-integrated learning. Graduates from this programme will be professionally competent in the aircraft industry.
Graduates may pursue in the following careers:
- Aircraft material/parts controllers
- Aircraft design engineers
- Aircraft maintenance assistant engineers
- Component maintenance technicians
- Non-destructive test inspectors
- Planning officers
- Quality assurance officers
- Technical services engineers
- Cadet pilots
- Graduate trainees
- Management trainees
This Programme has been approved by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) as a HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 Basic License Training Course. That means graduates who accumulate around 1,100 hours of aircraft maintenance practical training and pass all the HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 knowledge examinations and practical assessments are eligible to get the HKAR-147 Certificate of Recognition (CoR). With this CoR, graduates only need 2 years of relevant work experience to apply for the HKAR-66 Cat B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Licence.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For applying on the basis of the HKDSE results :
- Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject.
- Relevant ApL subject in Aviation Studies can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in aircraft maintenance engineering, mechanical engineering or a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- Graduates from VTC’s Higher Diploma of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering who were admitted in academic year of 2017/18 onwards are eligible to attend HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Licence written examinations via THEi’s arrangement in HKCAD approved VTC examination venue.
- Applicants may be screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact (Telephone No: 2176 1505 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2024/25 is $3,505 (for Local students) / $4,030 (for Non-local students) per credit point. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.
- The student may apply grant and loan schemes cover the tuition fees.
To encourage continuous professional enhancement for the aviation sector, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region has set up the Hong Kong Aviation Scholarship Scheme for students to complete aviation-related degree programmes. This Scholarship capped at about HK$100,000 for selected students.
- Students who opt for the Certificate of Recognition for the HKAR-147 Cat. B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Licence should fulfill the practical training requirement. They are required to accumulate about 1,100 hours of practical training/industrial attachment as arranged by THEi, at an extra fee. (For reference, Year 1 Entry are required around HK$17,500 for each academic year and Year 3 Entry are required around HK$ 21,000 would be required for each academic year and the actual fee is subject to change.)
- For Year 3 Entry, HKAR-147 Certificate of Recognition (CoR) is only eligible to students who graduated from the programme of VTC’s Higher Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering which had fulfilled the HKAR-66 Cat. B requirements.
- For trainings outside Hong Kong, students need to pay for their own travel and living expenses.
- Applicants should also note that, due to airworthiness requirements, there may be employment-related physiological and medical fitness requirements as stipulated by the industry.
- In general, Year 1 Entry and Year 3 Entry students need to pay a separate training fee of $70,000 and $42,000 respectively for the duration of their study at THEi.