Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Aircraft Engineering
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
DepartmentDepartment of Construction Technology and Engineering
Programme NameBachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Aircraft Engineering
Programme CodeST125104 (Application via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Aircraft Engineering is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
Registration No.: 19/000917/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2019 to 31/08/2024
This programme aims to equip students with the professional knowledge and skills to design, propose solutions or make recommendation in the fields of aircraft maintenance and aircraft engineering. Modules specialised in aircraft engineering such as mechanics of flight, propeller, aircraft system design, gas turbine engine, flight stability and automatic control will be the emphases of the programme. Moreover, the programme will prepare students for taking the HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Basic Licence Examination. The programme covers a broad range of professional knowledge including public health and safety, regulations, societal and environmental considerations. It also covers the provision of general education and work-integrated learning. Graduates from this programme will be professionally competent in the aircraft industry.
Graduates can pursue their career in aviation industry, airline, aircraft maintenance industry, aircraft manufacturing and other related engineering disciplines. They will be qualified for positions including but not limited to, aircraft maintenance technician, aircraft design/technical services engineer, strategic planning engineer, quality auditor, aircraft material/parts controller, non-destructive test inspector, etc. As graduates accumulate relevant work experience and professional qualifications, they may be promoted to senior engineers and/or management positions. Graduates may be employed in various public and private sectors, including Civil Aviation Department, Government Flying Service, airlines, aircraft maintenance companies, and aircraft/parts manufacturers.
This Programme has been approved by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) as a HKAR66 Cat. B1.1 Basic License Training Course. That means graduates who accumulate around 1,100 hours of aircraft maintenance practical training and pass all the HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 knowledge examinations and practical assessments are eligible to get the HKAR-147 Certificate of Recognition (CoR). With this CoR, graduates only need 2 years of relevant work experience to apply for the HKAR-66 Cat B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance License.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For applying on the basis of the HKDSE results :
- Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject.
- Relevant ApL subject in Aviation Studies can be counted for admission purpose.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in aircraft maintenance engineering, mechanical engineering or relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- Graduates from VTC’s Higher Diploma of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering who were admitted in academic year of 2017/18 onwards are eligible to attend HKAR-66 Cat. B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Licence written examinations via THEi’s arrangement in HKCAD approved VTC examination venue.
- Applicants may be screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 / 2176 1480).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2019/20 is $3,210 per credit point for Year 1 Entry and $3,210 per credit point for Year 3 Entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.
- The student may apply grant and loan schemes cover the tuition fees.
To encourage continuous professional enhancement for the aviation sector, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region has set up the Hong Kong Aviation Scholarship Scheme for students to complete aviation-related degree programmes. This Scholarship capped at about HK$100,000 for selected students.
- Students who opt for the Certificate of Recognition for the HKAR-147 Cat. B1.1 Aircraft Maintenance Licence should fulfill the practical training requirement. They are required to accumulate about 1,100 hours of practical training/industrial attachment as arranged by THEi, at an extra fee. (For reference, Year 1 Entry are required around HK$17,500 for each academic year and Year 3 Entry are required around HK$ 21,000 would be required for each academic year and the actual fee is subject to change.)
- For Year 3 Entry, HKAR-147 Certificate of Recognition (CoR) is only eligible to students who graduated from the programme of VTC’s Higher Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering which had fulfilled the HKAR-66 Cat. B requirements.
- For trainings outside Hong Kong, students need to pay for their own travel and living expenses.
- Applicants should also note that, due to airworthiness requirements, there may be employment-related physiological and medical fitness requirements as stipulated by the industry.
- In general, Year 1 Entry and Year 3 Entry need to pay a separate training fee of $70,000 and $42,000 respectively for the duration of their study at THEi.