Programme #4 / LC / AY2020/21
Programme #4 Library Resources and Academic Writing
About the Programme
Library Search and Academic Writing Programme is offered by THEi Learning Commons. This programme aims to promote the skill for library search and academic writing and to prepare THEi staff and students for final year project work.
The programme is designed for all Thei staff and students.
The programme objectives are as follows:
- To enable staff and students to make use of library service and e-resources on learning and teaching
- To promote and develop the academic writing skills
Programme Learning Outcomes
It is intended that by the end of this programme, participants will be able:
- To identify different kinds of library materials quickly, applying e-reference sources effectively, and listing journal articles skillfully
- To appreciate library-hold learning materials and facilities, and online library catalogue system
- To analyze the connection between writing and thinking and use writing and reading for inquiry, learning, thinking, and communicating in an academic setting
The programme is in modular-based to reflect on participants' learning and teaching. It is a face-to-face or online learning module.
Mode of Delivery
A range of teaching and learning activities such as online facilitation, webinar, lectures, experience sharing, discussions, and hands-on computer-based learning would be used.
Participating staff will be awarded Continuous Professional Development (CPD) hours and the record will be uploaded centrally by the HR.
Also, participants will be awarded an electronic Certificate of Attendance of the workshop.
Module 1: Introduction to Library System and E-Resources
To share VTC learning resources and use VTC library services, including:
1. EBSCO Discovery
- Communication Source
- Food Science Source
- Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine Source
- Applied Science & Technology Source
2. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
3. Harper's Bazaar Archive
4. INFOTRAC (Cengage)
- Culinary Arts Collection
- Gardening, Landscape and Horticulture Collection
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection
5. IEEE – Computer Society Digital Library
6. 華藝線上圖書館 Airiti Library
7. IET e-book and TV respositories
Module 2: Library Search and Academic Writing Utilizing Academic e-Databases
- To analyze the literature review
- To analyze academic writing
- To explain the search and use of library resources, including e-databases
1. ASCE Library (American Society of Civil Engineers)
2. IET eBooks and IET.tv
3. Proquest & RefWorks
5. Gale Academic OneFile
7. WGSN by Ascential
- To explain APA citation style
Module 3: Data Analysis Using SPSS & SmartPLS (Structural Equation Modeling)
To introduce the process of data analysis using SPSS and SmartPLS:
- Descriptive statistics
- Instrument validation
- Regression analysis
- Measurement model & structural model
Module 4: Qualitative Data Analysis Using NVivo
Nvivo is the most powerful software for gaining richer insights from qualitative and mixed-methods data, Store and organize, Categorize and analyze, Visualize and discover.
Module 5: Citation Manager Tools (Google Scholar, RefWorks, Endnote, Mendeley)
1. Google Scholar
Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
It is a web-based commercial reference management software package.
EndNote is the industry standard software tool for publishing and managing bibliographies, citations and references on the Windows and Macintosh desktop.
It is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research.
- Automatically generate bibliographies
- Collaborate easily with other researchers online
- Easily import papers from other research software
- Find relevant papers based on what you're reading
- Access your papers from anywhere online
- Read papers on the go, with our iOS and Android apps
Module 6: Data Visualization with Tableau
Tableau is the most powerful, secure, and flexible end-to-end analytics platform for your data. Elevate people with the power of data. Designed for the individual, but scaled for the enterprise, Tableau is the only business intelligence platform that turns your data into insights that drive action.
Module 7: Quantitative analysis using R
R analytics (or R programming language) is a free, open-source software used for all kinds of data science, statistics, and visualization projects. R programming language is powerful, versatile, AND able to be integrated into BI platforms like Sisense, to help you get the most out of business-critical data.
Module 8: Research Methodology & Data Analysis
Research methodology simply refers to the practical “how” of any given piece of research. More specifically, it is about how a researcher systematically designs a study to ensure valid and reliable results that address the research aims and objectives.
Data analysis for qualitative researches, using interviews, focus groups, experiments, etc. data analysis is going to involve identifying common patterns within the responses and critically analyzing them to achieve research aims and objectives.
Data analysis for quantitative studies, on the other hand, involves critical analysis and interpretation of figures and numbers and attempts to find the rationale behind the emergence of main findings.
Module 9: Library Training and Development
Learning Commons offers a range of professional development workshops or activities for library staff, focusing on practical topics to build new skills.
1. Library Cataloging
- Differences between AACR2r and RDA
- Using RDA to describe monographs
- Using MARC21 to code RDA descriptive data elements
- Composition of LCC
- How to construct an LC Call Number
- Hands-on skills to do the cataloguing of library collection, including print, visual materials and online learning resources
|5 Oct 2020 (Mon)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||
Module 2: E-Databases Webinar: WGSN – life style, trends and fashion
|Online Platform - MS Teams|
|6 Oct 2020 (Tue)||3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||
Module 2: E-Databases Webinar: ProQuest and RefWorks
|Online Platform - MS Teams|
|7 Oct 2020 (Wed)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Module 2: How to use EBSCO e-databases||Online Platform - MS Teams|
|8 Oct 2020 (Thu)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Module 2: EBSCO Faculty Select e-Databases for THEi Staff||Online Platform - MS Teams|
|9 Oct 2020 (Fri)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Module 2: Wanfang Data and Airiti Library (華藝線上圖書館)||Online Platform - MS Teams|
|14 Oct 2020 (Wed)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Module 2: How to use IET e-resources||Online Platform - MS Teams|
|15 Oct 2020 (Thu)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Module 2: Studiosity – 24/7 Online Learning Support for THEi Students||Online Platform - MS Teams|
|16 Oct 2020 (Fri)||4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Module 2: How to use GALE Academic OneFile||Online Platform - MS Teams|
For enquiries, please contact: