Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Culinary Arts and Management
“ This valuable experience in a real-world environment prepared me for my future career. ”
FacultyFaculty of Management and Hospitality
DepartmentDeparment of Hospitality Management
Programme NameBachelor of Arts (Honours) in Culinary Arts and Management
Programme CodeMH125106 (Application via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
JUPAS Catalogue No.JSSV04 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish supplemented with Cantonese
Venue(s)Programme core modules conducted at Kowloon Tong campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Culinary Arts and Management is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 14/003073/L5
Validity Period: 01/09/2014 to 31/08/2018
This programme aims to develop students into a new generation of catering management professionals to serve the manpower demands of the hospitality / catering industry locally and regionally. The programme not only offers training on culinary arts and catering management skills, but also encourages innovative thinking by incorporating culinary-related design and food science elements into the curriculum. Students can concentrate their study in three areas, namely, Culinary Management, Chinese Culinary Arts and Western Culinary Arts according to their interest.
Graduates are expected to start their careers in practical roles in hospitality / catering operations, for examples, catering companies, restaurants, airline catering, hotels, clubhouses, theme parks, exhibition centres and public agencies, where they can excel with their culinary skills, managerial abilities, and knowledge in design and food science. After gaining sufficient relevant experience, they could ultimately advance to senior management or entrepreneurial positions where they could contribute to the industry by elevating service standards, as well as shaping the development of the culture of culinary arts and hospitality.
This programme has been accredited by the Institute of Hospitality (UK).
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
JUPAS Catalogue No.: JSSV04
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject; OR Equivalent.
You may also refer to the General Entrance Requirements for more infromation.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- An "Attained" and an "Attained with Distinction" in an HKDSE relevant Applied Learning (ApL) subject (Category B subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include : Hospitality Services in Practice, Hotel Operations, Events Planning and Operation, Western Cuisine, Innovative Product Design, Food and Beverage Operations.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview with an original work portfolio.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent qualifications in a relevant area of study.
- Bridging modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Management and Hospitality (Telephone No: 3959 7222).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2017/18 is $2,700 per credit point. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.