Bachelor of Science (Honours) Surveying
Faculty & Department
Department of Environment, Faculty of Design and Environment and
Department of Construction Technology and Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology
Programme NameBachelor of Science (Honours) in Surveying
JSSV08 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Programme Code – For Year 3 EntryCF125101 (Application for self-financed places via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Teaching would be conducted at THEi (Chai Wan and Tsing Yi) campuses.
|Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Surveying
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 16/000216/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2016 to 31/08/2021
There is a significant demand for surveying services and quality graduates. The programme provides a highly vocational-oriented surveying degree supported by practical studies and work-integrated learning placement.
It also provides a choice of two multiple specialisations to enhance professional expertise and employability: (1) Quantity Surveying and Property & Facility Management (QS and PFM) Stream; (2) Building Surveying, General Practice and Planning & Development (BS, GP and PD) Stream.
The programme covers the core surveying areas of construction technology, real estate and development management, land and construction law and real estate economics and investment, which back up the professional roles and tasks at planning, development, construction, and occupancy phases of the building life cycle. It also emphasises general education and work-integrated learning. Graduates from this programme will therefore be professionally competent and contribute to social and global issues.
Graduates will be employed in both public and private sectors as follows:
- Quantity surveyors: Architectural Services Department, Highways Department, Housing Department, Urban Renewal Authority, professional QS consultancy firms, developers, building and civil engineering contractors, insurance companies, etc.
- Property and facility management surveyors: Government Property Agency, developers, in-house service departments, property consultants, FM and property management companies, asset and property management companies, etc.
- Building surveyors: Buildings Department, Housing Department, Architectural Services Department, Hong Kong Housing Society, Urban Renewal Authority, developers, local and international property consultants, estates and technical departments in institutions and corporations, etc.
- General practice surveyors: Lands Department, Rating & Valuation Department, Housing Department, Government Property Agency, property and valuation consultants, developers, etc.
- Planning and development surveyors: Planning Department, town planning and development consultants, developers, etc.
- Master degrees in specialty areas such as construction project management, real estate investment, urban planning, housing management, transport planning and construction law.
- MPhil or PhD research studies in surveying related areas.
Year-1 entry students:
As a new programme, the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) has provisionally approved the BSc (Hons) in Surveying as a cognate degree programme for acceptable graduates for admissions to the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) Scheme.
Before achieving the full accreditation, the degree is already accepted by the HKIS as a relevant degree for graduates to be admitted to sit for the APC, but they are required to go through a longer job training for one additional year.
The Programme has also achieved professional accreditation with the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) for its Quantity Surveying and Property & Facility Management Stream. Graduates of this Specialisation Stream will be eligible for admission to the Chartered Membership upon satisfactory completion of the practical experience requirements of the CIH.
Year-3 entry students:
Accreditation will be sought with the HKIS.
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places for Year 1 Entry will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places for Year 3 Entry can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject; OR Equivalent.
- A "Grade D or E" and a "Grade C or above" in an HKDSE Other Language subject (Category C subjects) are regarded as equivalent to an HKDSE subject at "Level 2" and "Level 3" respectively, and one Other Language subject can be counted for admission purpose.
- Starting from the 2018 HKDSE, the reporting of students' performance in ApL subjects would be further refined from the existing two levels of "Attained" and "Attained with Distinction" to "Attained", "Attained with Distinction (I)" and "Attained with Distinction (II)". Performance of "Attained with Distinction (I)" is comparable to level 3 while "Attained with Distinction (II)" is comparable to level 4 or above of the Category A subjects of the HKDSE. Details can be found at http://www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/hkdse/assessment/subject_information/category_b_subjects/. A maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Interior Design, Environmental Engineering, Building Facilities Engineering and Building Technology.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
IVE Higher Diploma in Surveying OR equivalent qualifications in a relevant area of study (subject to external accreditation).
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- Applicants should state their stream preference in their application. Admissions are subject to individuals’ educational backgrounds and places available.
For enquiry please contact Faculty of Design and Environment (Telephone No: 3890 8323) or Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2017/18 is $2,700 per credit point. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.