Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Product Design
“ Participated in an overseas study trip to Barcelona to learn from renowned designer and learnt about design concepts and technology behind some of the world’s most iconic architecture. ”
FacultyFaculty of Design and Environment
DepartmentDepartment of Design
Programme NameBachelor of Arts (Honours) in Product Design
JUPAS Catalogue No. – For Year 1 Entry JSSV02 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Programme Code – For Year 3 EntryDS125103 (Year 3 Entry – Full-time)/ DS525103 (Year 3 Entry – Part-time) (Application for self-financed places via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Part-time (Evening): 3 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Core modules would be conducted at THEi (Chai Wan) and some General Education (GE) modules at other campuses.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Product Design is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 12/000570/5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2012 to 31/08/2027
This programme aims to provide students with an educational experience which will groom and develop their professional aptitudes and attitudes. It also facilitates students to become inter-disciplinary product design professionals, equipped to meet both local and global needs. In addition, the programme also aims to nurture and develop students’ intellectual capacity, practical abilities and professional attributes.
Sustaining the notion of project-based learning, an element that is firmly embedded in design studies, the programme encourages active engagement with all aspects of practice. This includes an understanding of the theoretical framework of the subject and the creative application to produce imaginative yet practical outcomes.
Graduates will be equipped with professional knowledge of product design, awareness of new technology applications, and, marketing acumen to join the product design and development industry. You can begin your career as a designer, 3D artist, design engineer, project coordinator, project manager or product manager in various fields such as innovative product design, purchasing and merchandising, consumer electronics, digital entertainment, clocks, watches and jewelry, fashion and lifestyle products, home and kitchen products, automotive products,toys and children’s products as well as gift and premium.
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places for Year 1 Entry will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places for Year 3 Entry can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
JUPAS Catalogue No.: JSSV02
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details.
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For HKDSE, a maximum of two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Popular Music Production, Digital Media and Radio Production, Food Innovation and Science, Rehabilitation Care Practice, eSports Technology, Applied Learning (Vocational English) – English for Service Professionals, Applied Learning (Vocational English) – English Communication, Interior Design, Jewellery and Accessories Design, Computer Game and Animation Design, Automotive Technology, Internet of Everything Application, Building Technology, Innovative Product Design, Purchasing and Merchandising, Creative Advertising, Display and Jewellery Design, The Essentials of Theatre Arts, Film and Transmedia, Digital Comic Design and Production, Tech Basics.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview with an original work portfolio.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Design and Environment (Telephone No: 3890 8323).
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fees for academic year 2022/23 are $3,240 per credit point for Year-1 Entry; and $3,155 per credit point for Year-3 Entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.