Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Civil Engineering
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
DepartmentDepartment of Construction Technology and Engineering
Programme NameBachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering
Programme CodeST125101 (Application via VTC Web-based Admissions System)
JUPAS Catalogue No.JSSV05 (Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Part-time (Evening): 4 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules on other campuses
Facility(ies)Computational and Simulation laboratory
Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental laboratory
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
Registration No.: 12/000571/5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2012 to 31/08/2022
This programme has been developed in response to the manpower requirements arising from the ten Major Infrastructure Projects as well as the aspirations for degree study of secondary school leavers. This programme aims to equip students with the professional knowledge and skills to pursue careers as practising civil engineers and to assume professional leadership roles. It will develop students’ problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and leadership / management skills as well as their ethical attitudes. The programme covers a broad range of professional knowledge related to civil and structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, hydraulics, transport and infrastructure, and management. It also emphasises general education and work-integrated learning. Graduates from this programme will be professionally competent as well as socially and globally responsible.
Graduates may be employed as assistant engineers, graduate engineers, civil, structural and geotechnical engineers, project co-ordinators, site agents and project managers in various public and private sectors, such as Government Departments, consultancy and construction companies, utility companies, suppliers and manufacturers.
The Programme has been accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) and accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For applying on the basis of the HKDSE results :
- Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject (if the elective subject is not Physics / Chemistry / Biology / Combined or Integrated Science, then Mathematics Extended Part (Module 1 or 2) must be at Level 2 or above); OR Equivalent.
- a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Automotive Technology, Aviation Studies, Building Facilities Engineering, Building Technology.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 / 2176 1894).
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
JUPAS Catalogue No.: JSSV05
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2018/19 is $3,165 per credit point for Year-1 Entry and $3,125 per credit point for Year-3 Entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.