THEi-Hydrofarm Technology Hydroponic Research Centre (THRC) is operated by Technological and Higher Educational Institute (THEi) and Hydrofarm Technology Ltd (豐甞農業科技有限公司). The funding source is mainly from Hydrofarm Technology Ltd. and the matching grant of the University Grants Committee (UGC).
THRC aims to conduct project-based applied research to advance student learning and interests in controlled environment hydroponic agriculture, and to upskill technical knowledge for improving the quality and variety of hydroponic crops with the new farming technology. We welcome any related collaborations with industrial partners and interested parties.
The THRC aims to enhance hydroponic cultivation capabilities and raise the competitiveness of the hydroponic industry in Hong Kong. In the majority, this centre is furnished as a platform for collaboration between academics and urban farmers in aspects of:
- Enhancing the system of food safety and traceability by offering innovative and sustainable food sources
- Upgrading agricultural technologies with extensive locally grown and trustworthy food supply in the community to foster a high standard of living
- Providing a platform for students to gain practical knowledge of sustainable urban farming while motivating them to investigate and innovate food sources supplies
- Highlighting the value of and distinction between hydroponic and other types of conventional agricultural crops
- Developing a code of practices for monitoring the quality and safety of hydroponic products and harvests
Through the establishment of the THRC, our mission is to upskill hydroponic technology to improve the production capacity of food products and to ensure the sustainable supply of food sources. Our research work focuses on the following:
- Utilization of hydroponic agriculture, and exploring the nutrient requirements for the growth of various types of crops.
- Optimization of the varieties of food crops and the diverse compositional settings of hydroponic systems within four seasons
- Investigation of the effects of quality improvements on hydroponic methods and growing conditions for different crop types
The development of the research centre and ongoing work welcome your support and contribution in numerous ways. You are most welcome to:
- Create a research partnership with us
- Suggest us with research ideas and/or refer us research talents
- Consider for donation
Hydrofarm Technology Limited and
the University Grants Committee Research Matching Grant Scheme (UGC-RMGS)
“Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material/event (or by members of the project team) do not reflect the views of Hydrofarm Technology Ltd” and the Research Matching Grant Scheme (RMGS) from the University Grants Committee (UGC).